Be Sure You Have Your Wheatlands Key to Summer-Time Fun!
If you haven’t yet picked up your Pool Fob to enjoy the Fabulous Wheatlands Metro Clubhouse and Pool you will need to fill out the Pool Card Request Form.
Once you have completed your form, you can return your form and pick up your Pool Key Fob at our recreation center the Aurora Family YMCA at Wheatlands located at 6100 S Kewaunee Way, Aurora CO 80016.
Residents with Key Fobs can access the pool each season by registering online. Registration opens in the spring of each year and is communicated in the newsletter and on this site.
It’s important to know that should your Pool Key Fob be lost or stolen, there is a small fee to replace your Pool Key Fob.
2021 Pool Hours
|May 29th – August 8: 10AM – 8PM Every Day: The pool opens for the season Memorial Day weekend and is open every day from 10AM-8PM for residents to enjoy except for 3 Saturday mornings in which the Wheatlands Sharks swim team will be having their home meets. The meets are June 5th, June 12th and June 26th and run from 10-2pm. |
Extended Pool Hours First 3 Saturdays in July – 8pm-Dusk: The board recognizes how important the pool is to all our residents. With this in mind, we will be offering extended family swim nights the first three Saturdays in July to offset some of the swim team time. We choose these nights in July since the weather will be warmer and daylight will be longer. The pool can stay open until dusk which is around 9:30ish, this is so the lifeguards can still see to the bottom of the pool. Save the dates and mark your calendars for July 3rd, 10th and 17th the pool will stay open late.
|August 9th to September 5th: The pool transitions to school hours as follows:|
Monday – Friday Swim at Your Own Risk* from Noon until 4pm
Monday – Friday Lifeguards on Duty from 4-8pm
Saturdays & Sundays Lifeguards on Duty 10am-8pm
*During swim at your own risk, we will have a YMCA staff member at the gate to ensure our pool stays within Tri-County Healths capacity limit but we will not have any lifeguards in the stands during this time. All children under the age of 18, need to be accompanied by their parents or guardians to participate in the Swim at Your Own Risk hours.
2021 Pool Information
We can’t wait for you to enjoy the pool this summer! With Tri-County Health in level Clear, we will not have a reservation system and plan on operating the pool without restrictions. We will keep you informed if anything changes with Tri-County during the summer but we are hopeful we can operate at full capacity all summer! We will have pool furniture back at the pool this year as well.
- We need to follow the State of Colorado and Tri-County Healths requirements regarding COVID restrictions. Based on the level the county is in will determine how much capacity we can have at the pool and if we need to implement a reservation system.
- Our maximum pool capacity is 150 people so depending on the level the county is in we can open at a certain percentage of capacity. We acknowledge this will be a challenge to share the pool and appreciate your neighborly attitude and looking out for each other as we comply with the health department’s guidelines.
- We encourage residents to keep informed and follow Tri-County Health for any changes to regulations that will impact our capacity this summer.
- If the county goes to the Safer at Home level: 50 people are allowed on the pool deck; only 25 people are allowed in the deeper pool at a time and 16 people in the zero depth entry pool.
Entering The Pool
We ask that you enter by the gate located near the playground on the west side. This allows our lifeguards to get a proper count of people at the pool.
Exiting the Pool
- Please exit through the east side by the Buffalo and Wheatlands Parkway
- Anything you bring with you needs to be taken with you when you leave.
- Located at the lifeguard hut, the snack shack will be available to purchase ice cream treats, snacks and drinks.
- Snacks are $1 a piece and include a variety of sweet and salty treats. Please bring the exact dollar amount to put in the lock box as change can not be given.
- We did look into accepting credit cards this year however with the high transaction fees and processing fees, we have decided not to pursue this option at this time.
- Feel free to bring in your own food and drink as well and please dispose of your trash in the provided trash cans.
- Residents are allowed to bring in 5 guests per household.
- Please join us in welcoming Taylor Lee who is our Aquatic Coordinator from the YMCA who will help us maintain and manage the pool this summer. Thank you Taylor! If you have any questions or comments regarding the lifeguard staff or the pool management please reach out to Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The lifeguards are here for you! They want to ensure we have a safe and fun swim environment.
- You can stay informed straight from our aquatics staff by following their Wheatlands Community Pool group on Facebook. Click here to visit the group and see the latest pool updates.
The feels like temperature outside must be 60 degrees or higher for our pool to open. If lightning or inclement weather is spotted the pool will close for safety and reopen when the weather has passed. The pool and pool deck will be cleared when either of the following is occurring:
- Cloud to ground lightning is observed and less than 30 seconds pass from seeing the lightning and hearing the thunder from the flash.
- In cloud lightning is occurring directly overhead.
Storms do not have to be severe to contain large numbers of cloud to ground flashes in order to be considered dangerous. The pool can be considered safe to re-occupy 30 minutes after the last lightening is seen.
Notes from our Lifeguards about the weather policy:
• We use the weather Bug app for all weather information. We specifically use Legacy stadium at Cherokee Trail as our closest station.
• We will stay open if it is just raining if we can see the bottom of the pool.
• We close when lightening is 10 miles away from us.
• If the weather looks bad to the point we will not reopen within an hour, we put all staff on call. This means when it is safe to open we can call the staff back to reopen and let everyone in. This also means at least two guards must be on site to open due to CPR protocol.
In order for children to swim in the lap pool without an adult they are required to pass a swim safety test. The test consists of 2 parts:
- Tread water for one minute
- Swim the length of the pool
Once the child passes the swim test their name will be added to a list at the lifeguard stand and they will be given a wrist band to swim in the pool. They only need to pass the test once per summer; the next time you go to the pool just check in at the lifeguard stand to get your wristband.
For the safety of our swimmers, we have regular safety breaks scheduled at the pool. The breaks occur 15 minutes before the hour beginning at 11:45. Adults are allowed to lap swim during these safety breaks. Children must remain out of the pool until the safety break is over.
We welcome pool floats and toys at the pool however we ask that if the pool gets overly crowded, please remove large flotation devices. We need the guards to be able to see all the levels of the water: bottom, middle and top. These devices can obstruct the view of these areas of the water. Please keep mermaid tales or mono-fin toys at home. These are not safe as children cannot recover to stand while wearing these. The Lifeguards ask that you please use Puddle Jumpers instead of water wings. Puddle Jumpers are US Coast Guard approved lifejackets for young children and have the chest support as well as the arm support. Water Wings are a toy and do not assist the child’s body to stay afloat.
Pool Rental Agreement
Want to have a summer gathering at the pool? Residents of Wheatlands can rent the pool for their summer get togethers. Please note that the pool needs to be reserved 14 days prior to the event and rental fees are due 7 days prior. Download the Wheatlands Pool Rental Application to view all the details.
Wheatlands Sharks Swim Team
The Wheatlands Sharks Swim Team is open to all swimmers in the Wheatlands Community. To find out more about the swim team and how to join, visit their website here. Go Sharks!
The YMCA offers group swim lessons and private swim lessons at our pool for Wheatlands Residents. To sign up for summer swim lessons click here.
Thank you for being great neighbors and helping us make the pool a fun and safe place this summer!